What is Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast Reduction Surgery is the removal of the tissues and skin from the breast to reshape and reduce its size. It can also make the areola (the darker area around the nipple) smaller.
Surgical procedure for Breast Reduction
Breast Reduction surgery is done with general anesthesia. Tissues and skin are removed by making a cut or two in the breast. After the excess tissues and skin are separated, the skin is stitched up and in some cases it involves the repositioning of the areola.
The surgery takes 3 to 5 hours and in most cases hospitalization is not required.
After The Surgery
• Immediately after surgery, gauze is placed over the incisions, and the breasts are wrapped in an elastic bandage or supported with a special surgical bra. In some cases, there may be a small tube in each breast to help drain blood and fluid for the first couple of days.
• Stitches may be removed in 1 to 2 weeks.The pain could continue for the first couple of days followed by a little discomfort as the week goes by.
• Swelling and bruising may last several weeks but wearing a surgical bra can reduce the pain while the breasts heal.
• Strenuous activities and exercises for 3 to 4 weeks must be avoided at all cost. It's important to wear a bra that supports the breasts well, such as a sports or athletic bra.
• Scars will be visible after the surgery but they are always covered by a bra or a swimsuit. Though scars may fade over time they will not disappear.