Birosa Temple (Yeongju) (비로사 (영주))
- Zip Code : 36018
- Phone number : +82-54-638-5033
- Homepage :
- Address : 661-29, Samga-ro, Punggi-eup, Yeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
- Driving directions : Punggi Station (Saemaeul / Mugunghwa Line)
Take a taxi to the venue.
Birosa is a temple located at the southern foot of Birobong, the highest
peak of Sobaeksan Mountain. It was founded by revered Buddhist monk Uisang Daesa in the 20th year of King Munmu’s reign (AD 680) during the Silla Kingdom. The temple’s Buddha statue and the flagpole supports reveal the long history of this ancient temple.
To the left of the entrance to Birosa Temple stand a pair of flagpole supports that are official called Yeongju Samgadong Dangganjiju. The 4.8 meter-high flagpole supports facing each other have a meticulous structure. Inside the temple precincts is Jingongdaesa Bobeoptapbi, a stele with a stone turtle base erected in honor of the great monk Jingong Daesa.
The temple enshrines the Amitabha and Vairocana Buddha statues, which were created during the Silla Kingdom in the late 9th century. Both of these Buddha statues realistically depict the human form, and show similar characteristics, which reveal that they were crafted by the same artisan. Preserving such valuable cultural heritages, Birosa Temple also has a serene view of Birobong Peak on Sobaeksan Mountain.
* Major cultural properties: Yeongpung Birosa Amitabha and Vairocana Buddha Statues (Treasure No. 997), Yeongju Samgadong Dangganjiju (Provincial Tangible Cultural Property No. 7)
- Contact and Information : • 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-54-638-5033
- Day off :
- Experience guide :
- Parking facilities : Available
- Hiking Course
Samga-ri - Birosa Temple - Biro falls - Birobong Peak - Yeonhwabong Peak - Geommunso (Check point)
(17 km, 6 hr)
- Parking Fees
* Light-weight car
500 won for the first 1 hour / 100 won for an additional each 10 minute / 5,000 won for 9 hour and more (limited to one day)
* Small-sized car
1,000 won for the first 1 hour / 200 won for an additional each 10 minute / 10,000 won for 9 hour and more (limited to one day)
* Mid-sized car
1,500 won for the first 1 hour / 300 won for an additional each 10 minute / 15,000 won for 9 hour and more (limited to one day)
* Large-sized car
2,000 won for the first 1 hour / 400 won for an additional each 10 minute / 20,000 won for 9 hour and more (limited to one day)
* Fees differ during peak season and non-peak season.
* Fees are subject to change.