Cheongnamdae Presidential Villa (청남대)
- Zip Code : 28210
- Phone number : +82-43-257-5080
- Homepage : chnam.cb21.net
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
- Address : 646, Cheongnamdae-gil, Sangdang-gu, Cheongju-si, Chungcheongbuk-do
- Driving directions : [Bus]
- Board the bus to Cheongju at Dong Seoul Terminal (Departure 8 times a day (06:50-09:10), 1 hour and 30 minute ride)
- Board the bus to Munui (No. 311) at the Cheongju (Express) Bus Terminal (Departure every 30 minutes, 50 minute ride)
- Get tickets at Cheongnamdae Ticket Office in Munui and board the bus to Cheongnamdae
The Cheongnamdae (청남대) is a presidential vacation villa located near Daecheong Dam (대청댐) in Cheongwon-gu, Chungcheongbuk-do. The former president Chun Doo-hwan was greatly impressed by the scenic surroundings while attending the ceremony for the completion of Daecheong Dam in 1980. The construction of Cheongnamdae started in June, 1983 and was completed in six months (December). Cheongnamdae, built on a 560,000 pyeong-wide area, means ‘Cheongwadae in a warm southern land’ in Korean. South Korean presidents would stay in this remote vacation villa 4-5 times (or sometimes 7-8 times) a year during summer vacation or national holidays. In total, Korean presidents have stayed here nearly 400 days over 88 visits in two decades.
There were four presidential villas including the one in Gimhae in the past. During Kim Young-sam’s administration, however, all but Cheongnamdae were closed. Cheongnamdae, which had been closed to the public for twenty years, was finally opened to the public on April 18, 2003 by former president Roh Moo-hyun. Visitors can view a music fountain inside the ecological wetland garden (990㎡), hike a 3.3km mountain trail and visit the Hoban Promenade (8km), or simply take a pleasant walk along a beautiful trail, and enjoy the scenic landscape of Daecheongho Lake.
* Geographical Location
Cheongnamdae is located in Munui-myeon, Cheongwon-gun, Chungcheongbuk-do. Encircled by mountain peaks including Oksaebong Peak, Wolchulbong Peak, Mt. Jakdusan and Sowibong Peak, it is completely hidden. The beautiful Daecheongho Lake surrounds the presidential vacation villa as well and many feng-shui masters have declared this spot to be the finest in Korea.
1) Site area: 330 land parcel area, 558,000 pyeong (1,844,628.1 ㎡)
2) Buildings: 46 houses / 3,377 pyeong (11,163.64 ㎡)
- Contact and Information : • 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-43-257-5080
- Day off : Every Monday, New Year's Day, Seollal (Lunar New Year's Day) & Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving Day) holidays
- Experience guide :
- Parking facilities : Available